What you will study
Our SECT Course is specifically designed for English Language Teachers who would like:-
- To address the need for good communication skills in foreign languages as well as improving English language proficiency focusing on the education system.
- To maintain a careful balance of all four language skills vital for English language education.
- To explore the dimensions of CLIL and get an overview of the application of this discipline.
- To review practical areas such as the 5 Cs of CLIL, cognition and thinking skills, scaffolding and assessment for CLIL.
- To enable teachers to design dual-purpose learning materials.
- To experience the cultural heritage of Malta with its bilingual linguistic environment.
Our SECT Course includes Academic English lessons throughout which reading, writing, speaking and listening skills are targeted as well as Intensive lessons with the focus on the principles of CLIL and analyses CLIL teaching techniques, including practical ways of integrating CLIL into a classroom teaching environment.
How you will learn
Our SECT Course is taught interactively, with input sessions and collaborative work. The theory underpinning CLIL is discussed and each of the 5 Cs is addressed and explored thoroughly. Assessment is discussed and participants will design their own assessment tools throughout the course.
CLIL Methodology is explored, analysed and discussed, developing the participants’ use of their communication skills in English.
Teachers are asked to reflect on the activities, inviting discussion with regard to their own knowledge & skills, their approach to teaching today’s students, and on the adaptation of the course materials to their teaching & learning situations & contexts.
Exchange of participants’ CLIL experiences and pedagogical knowledge is encouraged through networking and discussion. Participants’ own language skills are developed and feedback is given where appropriate by our teaching staff. Participants are also introduced to appropriate websites related to the further development of their teaching skills & personal professional development.
Upon course completion course participants will have an evaluation session, where teachers are asked to reflect upon the value of the knowledge gained on the course. They are also encouraged in this session to come up with a Personal Development Action Plan, and select activities which they would like to try out in their own classes or projects.